Wednesday, February 27, 2008

iPhone, uPhone, We All Phone for....

Two days after I got the Tilt phone, I happened to be typing away on it at the bank when one of the tellers asked me about it. He showed me his iPhone. The next day, I had one too.

Most cellular phone companies will allow you to take a phone back within the first two weeks. I didn't hesitate. I needed to return the Tilt, but unfortunately, the mall kiosk where I got the Tilt doesn't carry iPhones. This meant I had an extra trip ahead of me, and even tho Emmett's half-birthday party was in full swing, I left Shirra with the kids (traipsing thru the snowy woods) and zoomed thruout Poughkeepsie taking care of these errands. I have turned into a laconic driver since moving to New Paltz, but suddenly I reverted to my formerly aggressive habits (the ones that made me the scourge of Israeli taxi drivers back when we rented a car in Tel Aviv for two weeks). As soon as I got home, I connected the phone to my computer, only to discover that our iBook G4 -- a brand new computer when we plunked down nearly $2,000 for it just 4 years ago -- isn't compatible with the even schmancier iPhone.

About 5 years ago, Apple switched from its truly pokey operating system called OS9 to the much more artificial-intelligency OSX. It never occurred to me that our particular brand of OSX would be unable to play with the iPhone -- after all, this computer can still download songs from iTunes and surf the web, so why would compatibility be an issue? And our OSX was the most advanced version of OSX available that could run pretty much any programs made for Apple: OS 10.3.9.

Alas, an iPhone needs to run on OS 10.4.10 or higher. But it turns out that there is a huge gulf between point-3 and point-4. The newer operating systems all have names like Tiger, Panther, and Leopard, but ours is apparently so archaic in comparison that we should be referring to the 10.3s as Mammoth, Mastodon, and Mitt "Bling Bling" Romney.

Happily, there were some temporary solutions. The day after I got the iPhone, I synched it with the computer of one of Shirra's employees. Then two days later, I connected it with my mom's computer. All is well in iPhoneland at last.

No comments: