Monday, March 03, 2008

Mirror Mirror on the Car

While looking for a parking spot in Manhattan this past Saturday, I knocked the mirror off my car. Actually, to be exact, it was my wife's car; I'd borrowed it for the weekend because I needed its capacity for the dozen unicycles I was taking into the Big City for the bi-monthly uniclub meeting. Her car is the Honda Odyssey, and it's a bit wider than my Aztek. When I tried to pass by a double-parked car, I heard a thunk, and the next thing my son heard was me yelling 'Firetruck' minus the "iretr" part.

Shirra had knocked mirrors off my car in the past -- in fact, she knocked BOTH off during her worst 5 minutes of driving back in 2005 -- so she was quite understanding about my mistake when I told her about it. The good news was that the only damage to either car was my missing mirror, but I assumed that the repair would cost hundreds of dollars. Enter Rick from Main Street Auto.

Rick, whose given name is Farooge, has been our mechanic since we moved to New Paltz. We've given him a lot of business since we moved here -- most recently a re-repair of one of my wheels, whose bearing keep breaking from driving on my pock-marked road. I brought the car in just in case he had some ideas about a cheap fix, and immediately he suggested I get screws from the hardware store and we'd take it from there. When I came back, he took one of my 18-cent screws and twisted it thru the base of the mirror and into the mirror itself. Voila! Farooge wouldn't even take a tip. A temporary solution to a dangerous problem, and all for under a quarter! Gotta love life in the Big Village.

No comments: