Saturday, February 23, 2008

It's AT&T for Me (for Now)

T*Mobile had to go -- the coverage in our house and on the road was terrible, and just as bad was the terrible spam filter: I had to delete over 30 penis and investment messages a day. I was about to get Verizon, which everyone knows has the best reception in the area, but the service is more expensive than AT&T even tho we have Verizon for our home and the store.


Initially I went with the AT&T "Tilt." This phone is similar to my old Sidekick in that it has a small keyboard beneath a screen, but the big difference was that it had a touch screen. This was actually a minus, however, because the screen worrked better with a stylus, but I hated using the stylus. Using fingers was nearly impossible, however, even tho my fingernails are intact, because the screen wasn't sensitive enough. It was like trying to use a push-button phone while wearing gloves. I also had trouble using what should have been the easiest feature: the phone. Without going into boring detail, suffice it to say that there was nothing about the phone that one could call intuitive.

This link has a positive review of the Tilt, but it mentions something that clarifies why that phone didn't work well for me -- it's based on the Windows system, but we're Mac people. Years ago, I used a PDA that could sync with my one and only PC (bought in 1998), but I don't feel like getting another PC just so that I can use my phone effectively.

No comments: