Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Matt Dillon, Fire Fighter



Did you know that Matt Dillon is a fire fighter? Apparently the 45-year-old New York native and thespian heartthrob is also one of New York's Finest. Well, at least according to the placard I've seen twice in his car when he parks his blue sedan in front of a hydrant on the block where he lives.

I've spotted Dillon a few times on the block where I grew up, and I've also seen that blue car with the fire fighter decal parked by the hydrant on several occasions. But I had no reason to put the two together until last week when I saw Dillon after the two of us had bought candies at the newsstand on the corner of 81st St and Columbus Ave. I hadn't recognized him yet, but I noticed that the two of us had parked up the block and that he was getting into the car just back of mine. It turns out that I had parked my car directly in front of Dillon's when I arrived to tutor several hours earlier. Mine was in the legal spot just east of the hydrant, and his was parked behind my car (and next to the hydrant).

Cars rarely park by the hydrant, of course, so I took notice of this automobile, and I spotted the "Active Fire Fighter" placard on the dashboard. I'm not sure if it could prevent him from getting a ticket, but I can tell you that it's the real-deal placard, one which he has to have gotten from a fireman buddy of his. I'm pretty sure that's illegal, but what do I know; maybe there is a provision in the law that allows for actors to display FDNY placards in their cars in case they have to make an emergency shoot on some nearby set.

As we started to get into our cars, I smiled and pointed to the New Paltz Fire Department sticker on the back of my car. I knocked on his window and when he rolled it down, I asked which department he's with. That's when I realized that this was Matt Dillon. He smiled awkwardly, nodded but didn't speak, and rolled his window back up.

I guess he's with the Movie Shoots and Ladders department.

(Dillon's actual placard)

1 comment:

Emily said...

hahaha-BUSTED! I never saw him when I went to grad school around there, but people were always spotting Isabella Rosellini walking her dog.