Friday, May 22, 2009

Excuse Me, Is This Row Taken?

I attended a showing of a film at the Lincoln Plaza Cinema in manhattan. The house mainly shows art films or indies, so its 4 theaters are rarely overcrowded. The 10 pm showings are especially lacking in patrons. In New Paltz you'd at least be more likely to run into a friend if you decided to take in a late flick, but in NYC, I knew that I'd be sitting by myself. What I didn't realize is that I'd have my own row.

As I arrived, I counted no more than a dozen filmgoers in a long theater that could have seated all of us in the front row. A couple had taken two seats in row F. A woman sat behind them and to the right. Two rows behind her was another woman. I sat in the row between them but a few seats over. I would have liked to sit a wee bit closer, but I didn't want to be the weirdo who squishes into a row when there's a perfectly good one a little further back. What's 3 feet, after all?

Behind us, patrons maintained the pattern. As more New Yorkers arrived to take in this French film, the decent rows ran out, and people had to make decisions. They typically sat on or near the aisle, far from the other person already in the row. Shortly, the couple in row F was joined by three chatty young foreign exchange students. They greeted eachother amiably, and the exchange girls took their seats right in front of my nearest neighbor. To my amazement, the woman in row G didn't move or act huffy. It was as if she didn't mind sacrificing a little of her space as well as he sight-lines. Perhaps she even wanted to pretend that she wasn't attending a film by herself.

I didn't go to a movie on my own till I was in my 30s. It felt weird, like the moment in "The Lonely Guy" where Steve Martin's character enters a restaurant and has a spotlight placed on him as soon as he requests a table for one. I've seen a few movies solo recently, and each time, I've been tempted to ask another singleton, "Excuse me, but would you like to sit together so that we could pretend that we're not alone?" It's not that there's anything wrong with being alone -- sometimes it's lovely -- but I've always thought of movies (and restaurants) as places where people go as part of a couple or a larger group. It's a bit like sex. See a movie with a friend, and no one gives it a second thought. See a movie by yourself, and it's like you're masturbating. And that's just something I'd rather not do in public.

No comments: