Saturday, May 31, 2008

OK, Maybe More Like 43 MPG

I'm still playing with my little ScanGauge, but I forgot to make an adjustment to it that has had a significant effect on my mileage readouts.

After correcting for the amount of fuel actually put into the car, the ScanGauge seems to reflect more accurately the amount of miles I'm actually getting per gallon. I'm basing this on my careful record-keeping. Most recently I filled up 8.5 gallons after driving 368 miles, and that comes to about 43.3 mpg. Keep in mind that this reflects a combination of highway driving (maybe 80-85% of my driving), New Paltz driving (9-14%) and parking space driving in Manhattan (1%). I'm quite happy with this mileage.

It will be interesting to see how the car does when I drive round-trip to Nova Scotia in a few weeks. That should give some great information about the car's highway-only performance.

I should also note that I really drive like a gas-miser. I maintain a speed between 55 and 62 mph, and I sometimes draft behind big trucks (but not TOO close). I even put the car into neutral on big downhills once in a while. And I give the car high-octane gasoline, as the manufacturer suggests.

No comments: