Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Get Out and Vote

Or rather, Got Out and Voted

There was a town election today. Because we live outside of the heart of New Paltz, we can't vote in Village elections. That's a shame, really, since fewer than 25% of the 4,000 Village residents bothered to vote for their own mayor last week. I try not to miss a chance to vote. In college, I sent in absentee ballots, and after college, I voted in all of the elections except maybe one. For the record, I voted for all of the right people, tho they didn't always win. Example: I voted against Bush both times (all three, if you include his dad). I also voted for Bloomberg (a republican) and even for Giulianni (his incumbent opponent was a poor leader). In fact, my chosen candidate has always won except for the last two presidential elections, the first of which Bush stole by manipulating the votes, the second of which he won by manipulating the voters. To save time, I offer my services as professional voter. When an election comes up, just let me pick the winner. Think of the savings to tax payers (most of whom already don't vote in the first place).

Voting in New Paltz was a minified version of voting in Manhattan. In both cases, the election is held in a school gymnasium with voting machines that have levers, curtains, and handles. But in New Paltz, there is a good chance you'll find yourself next in line behind one of the candidates. That happened to me today when I realized that I was standing next to Edgar Rodriguez, who was running for the school board. His chances are good, since there were only two candidates for the three positions. Mathematically, then, I know I voted for at least one of the two winners.

There were also two referenda, both of which had to do with school issues. As a parent of three kids under 12, it wasn't hard to make up my mind there. I voted yes on the one that asked if kids should have less homework so that they can spend more time cultivating their imaginations and no on the one that asked if the Pledge of Allegiance should be followed up with a recitation of Joyce Kilmer's poem, "Trees." I've always hated that poem. I remember writing a viscious revenge poem about it when I was 11. It started, "I think that I shall never see/A poem worse than Kilmer's 'Trees,'" and it went on to expound on several of the problems I had with that short bit of frilly 19th century twaddle. Honestly, I loathe that poem.

3 comments:

The Journey said...

If only the village was as efficient at mailing out solicitations to vote as the "local" big box stores are at sending out "Welcome to the neighborhood" and $5 off coupons to new residents! As recent home buyers in the area we have been inundated with welcome mailers and coupons from the shops, but not one from the village announcing upcoming elections. I wonder how many of us even knew an election was happening...

celeste said...

That's a great point, dragonflies. If you are a registered voter in New Paltz you should have received a postcard from one of the mayor candidates.

Fyi this year's village election turnout was the biggest one in recent history. Still, there is a lot more that could be done to make sure people know to vote, and when and where.

To this end in March I suggested to Village Clerk Brittany Turner that we promote the election in a nonpartisan way to increase overall voter turnout and she and Mayor West were very receptive to the idea. I donated a design for a poster -- illustrated by local artist Mike Vlad in a "schoolhouse rocks" style -- that was printed up by the Village and posted all over downtown and campus.

The clerk also did a great job of putting balloons outside the polling place and making the election more visible than past years.

For the third village election day in a row I personally promoted my chosen candidate (2004: Michael Zierler for Trustee; 2005: Michael Zierler for Trustee; 2007: Terry Dungan for Mayor) on Main Street outside by waving a "VOTE TODAY" sign while the polls were open.

I've put in a suggestion to the incoming mayor that it would be cool to have a printed and online "citizen's guide" to New Paltz. Something like a guide to government services, how to get involved as a volunteer, voting info, know your rights, etc.

I would love some help putting something like that together so if you are interested email me at celeste [at] aviette.com.

celeste said...

p.s. I must plug the annual Alred Joyce Kilmer Memorial Bad Poetry Contest! It's hosted by the Philolexian Society every November on the Columbia campus, as Kilmer was also a Philo:

http://www.philolexian.com/society.shtml