Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Spicy Prices

Short version: Don't buy spices at the supermarket if you have an alternative like a health food store.
Moral: Sometimes a cell phone pays for itself.

Shirra sent me on an errand just before Turkey Day. She wants to make a few pies before Thursday's festivities. On the list were four spices:

Nutmeg
Cloves
Ginger
Cinnamon

Stop 'N' Shop price for these four items: $35

This seemed a tad high -- nutmeg ain't cheap, but hey! -- so I gave Shirra a call. She suggested I try the health food store next door, the one with the odd sign. Is it "Healthy Nutrition"? "Health / Nutrition"? Maybe the carrot stands for an ampersand? Or perhaps it's just a carrot: "Health Carrot Nutrition".

Whatever the name, I like their prices. I bought what seemed like a fair amount of all four of the spices. Grand total: $1.47.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

great post! spice prices in supermarkets are insane. I am visiting family in one of those places in the midwest where there are no health food stores. So along the way I stopped at a health food place in Texas and bought about 12 spices in bulk - for a total of $6.30! What one little jar would cost at a ripoff supermarket here.

Also scored some epazote for myself (google it, if you like beans it is mondo cool-o) since none of our new paltz places have it, or have heard of it, and I always forget when I am in the city.

Now I just have to get through airport security with a ziplock baggie of dried herbs.... hmmm.

-c

voiceofsocietyman said...

Ah, that airport security. Reminds me of the gentler days, back in the mid-80s, when my best college friend and I were returning from the Bahamas. At the airport, I read aloud the 'no marijuana allowed in the US' sign and acted (jokingly) like we were busted (ironic, since I had never tried the stuff). The guards just stared at me smirkingly. Nowadays...

David