Thursday, December 13, 2007

Cars that Go Bump in the Day

SNOW
The snow hit hard this morning, starting just as I was leaving the firehouse following a false alarm. I decided to run a few errands, ending up at Shirra's store. After grabbing some needles that she needed, I put up a sign to announce that the store was closed due to snow, and then I headed home. Since the car was parked on Church, I drove over to Manheim and then made a left. This was a mistake -- that road is fairly steep and rarely plowed.

BOOM
There were two cars ahead of me, and both of them were sliding around a bit; apparently both drivers were turning into a driveway just after my left turn from Church. One of the cars made it, but the other slipped a bit just as I began driving down that road. And then I slipped. My car kept sliding, picking up speed as it headed towards the other car, so I honked to alert the driver to our impending boom. It felt like I hit her pretty hard, but luckily there was no damage to either car. Since I had some sand in my car, I spread some under her car (and another that had shown up a minute later), rescuing both drivers before heading home.

Although the weather in Manhattan wasn't too bad, the roads TO Manhattan were probably slick, so there was a chance I'd get stuck. I decided to cancel my students for the day just to be on the safe side. We made hot chocolate, the kids went sledding and exploring in the snow, and late in the day, our plow guy showed up. At least we won't be stuck home tomorrow.

No comments: