Friday, March 09, 2007

Parking: The Main Reason to Move out of NYC?

I'm sitting in front of my mom's apartment building, where I grew up. I dropped off Shirra and the kids, drove around for while in a vain search for a spot, and gave up. As I sit and write this, I'm hoping a spot opens on Mom's block.

30 minutes ago, I eschewed a spot a block away. I knew that losing that spot meant that it would be easier to drop off the family but that it would likely come at a cost. Sure enough, when I drove by that spot a few minutes later, someone was backing into it. In fact, I was amazed that the spot had stayed open as long as it did. And in a biting piece of bad luck, I noticed a spot on my mom's block a minute after missing the earlier spot. What was I thinking when I let that spot go? It was less than a quarter mile from my destination!

Now that I've decided to play the waiting game, each person crossing the street is a potential spot opener. That man with the beard...is he just cutting over diagonally, or is he about to head to his car? Was that woman coming out of her building holding some gloves, or were those her car keys?

Omigod. Sweater Guy WAS heading to his car.... He's out of his spot! Woohoo. The wait is over! Elapsed time: just 50 minutes. That's only 49 minutes longer than my longest search in New Paltz.

No comments: