Saturday, March 10, 2007

Learning about NASCAR

I didn't realize when we moved to New Paltz that I'd have to learn about NASCAR. I couldn't find any online guides to help me translate, but between commercials for motor oil, Sears power tools, and car insurance, I picked up enough of the lingo to have a decent conversation the next time I set foot in that fire house. Try this one on for size:

Standard English
"The driver of the car with the #33 on it is hoping that someone else has an accident, necessitating that the race officials put up a caution flag, which would slow the pace of the race such that he would lose less ground while going in for mechanical adjustments."

NASCARese
Announcer (Southern accent): "That 33 car is hopin' for a yella, but right now they're runnin' green."

I should point out that the 33 car's wishes were granted when the 5 car spun into a wall 10 laps later, shredding its tires but otherwise causing no damage to his car, himself, or others. The 33 car's pit crew was vindicated. Their driver lost little time on his lengthy pitstop and was able to resume the race with a fresh set of tires and some important adjusments to his engine. Thrilling.

No comments: