Sunday, December 24, 2006

Firemen of Diminutive Stature

Fireman Tiny

Emmett came to visit the firehouse, and I had him put on my gear. It's a bit big, but maybe one day he'll have his own stuff.






Fireman Small
There is a 1942 book called Fireman Small, by Lois Leyman, that inadvertently illustrates a few things NOT to do when involved with a fire. I just took my first OSHA class (about fire safety), and while the captain was talking about fire-fighting dangers, I thought about Fireman Small. I had a hunch that the family should not have gone back into the burning house to retrieve their furniture, and it turns out I was right. I also had a feeling that they wouldn't be returning to the house just after the fire was put out (water- and smoke-damage would take their toll), but one thing I didn't know until last week is that the firemen make a basic error in putting out the fire: They chop a hole into the roof (this is standard procedure, in order to let out trapped heat and smoke), but then they shoot water from the hose into the vent they've just created. I don't think Lois Leyman knew too much about fire safety.

No comments: