Friday, December 22, 2006

Oh, Deer!



A family of deer live in the woods either side of our private road. The soft beauty of their appearance is matched only by their grace. I often spot them in the morning as they lope across the road after snacking on our neighbor's flowers. They seem to come out between the time that I take Fiona to the bus and when I return home fifteen minutes later.

I tried to take a photo of them, but they're too fast, so I've only managed to get some shots of where they've just been. These were taken back in October, and you'll note the great abundance of leaves. Back then, we also seemed to have more deer on the property, too.

This first shot shows where one of them had been grazing just seconds before. And if you look closely at the second picture, you can just make out where a deer is no longer standing.



My record for deer spotted at once is 8, on several occasions, apparently from two does and six fawns. It is a bit daunting to drive down the road on my way to the firehouse, knowing that I have to be cautious about the animals. Oh, deer; I had better be careful.

No comments: