Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Enough Snow Already!

NYC is getting a bit of rain today. For them, Spring has sprung. But just 80 miles north, winter has reared its ugly head once again.

Here it is, the first week of spring 2011, and the forecast is calling for 4 to 9 inches of snow today. In the time I took to write this, our backyard went from green to white. The NOAA winter weather warning prophesied snowfall starting at 10 am, but it actually began at 8:30 this morning. My guess is that this means that the higher estimate -- 9" -- is going to prove to be more accurate.

Perhaps this is to make up for that 70ยบ day we had back in February; that was the day I thought marked the end of Winter 2011. Silly me -- don't I ever learn that a freak warm day does not a season make? In fact, the day after that warm day, the temperature plunged back into the 30s and stayed there for weeks. It warmed up again recently, and once again I thought we were in for nice weather and an early spring, but apparently winter had one more trick up its sleeve.

School was just dismissed early; the big kids are getting sent home at 10:35 after a half day, and Maeve will be let out at noon. I'm just hoping that the fluffy white stuff doesn't really stick; I have to drive into Manhattan around 1 pm today.

No comments: