Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Stuck in NYC: The storm of February 2011

I've been stuck in Manhattan for the past two nights because road conditions have been too snowy or too dangerous for me to make the trips between NYC and NP.


Monday was the first night of this storm. While Manhattan only got a sprinkling of white stuff, New Paltz got over a foot of powdery snow, and I needed to be in downtown NYC by noon on Tuesday, so I stayed at my mom's. The snow in New Paltz stopped, and there was a pause for a few hours while Shirra dug her car out from under what had fallen, but then Phase Two of the storm hit last night, dumping several inches of ice on the roads, making the trip home too dangerous to risk. And as it happened, I needed to be in NYC by 1pm anyway, so it made sense to stay in Manhattan once again.

I did manage to see some movies and to hang out with my mother for a few days, and that was nice. I saw "127 Hours," which was riveting and even better than expected, and then last night my mom and I went to "The Fighter." The movie was especially touching for her because her father, gentle soul that he was, loved prizefighting (and wrestling). After the film, she told me about Grandpa Sam taking her to see Slapsie Maxie Rosenbloom, a famous Jewish boxer from the 1930s and 40s.

No comments: