Saturday, October 31, 2009

How NOT to Tow a Car

We packed up the soccer kids into Shirra's minivan and started down the driveway. The car felt odd; I got out to inspect, but I knew what it was before I'd looked: The car had a massively flat tire. It wasn't just a big soggy. By the time we noticed it, the tire was practically off the rim.



Luckily we've always belonged to AAA. I sent Shirra off in my Aztek and phoned for roadside assistance. Within an hour (ok, exactly 59 minutes later), the tow truck had arrived. The driver phoned me from the bottom of the hill. We decided that he'd drive past the car, turn around, drive past again (this time facing the right way), and then put the minivan onto his flatbed so that he could tow it into town. Then his truck got stuck in the muck.



He tried to rescue himself, to no avail.



So he called for backup. As I write this, another truck is en route from Beacon. It's going to reverse itself in our neighbor's driveway (nearly a quarter mile away), back up thru the curve, and pull my guy out. From that point, it should all go as planned.

No comments: