Wednesday, April 23, 2008

iPhone, Re-Visited



My iPhone is great, when it's working. But so far I've had to re-something-or-other it several different times.

RE-SET
First there was a mild glitch that caused the screen to freeze. A simple 'reset' did the trick, and it was back to normal.

RE-STORE
But a few days later, I found that I was unable to return emails sent to my gmail account (and viewable on my phone). A customer rep explained that I'd have to 'restore' the phone, causing it to put my 'settings' back to their default settings and forcing me to spend hours putting all of the music and podcasts back onto the phone.

RE-COVER
When I ran into my next glitch, the rep suggested that I perform an even more drastic type of resetting of the iPhone. This procedure is called a 'recovery,' and it seems a lot like the re-store, only more invasive somehow. This worked initially, but then a few days later, I was unable to sync the phone with my computer. I ran thru all of the other steps, but alas, the phone would not fix itself. I called iPhone support again (800-MY iPHONE). The support team is top notch, never making me wait longer than 30 seconds on the phone, and they immediately suggested the only step left at this point.

RE-PLACEMENT
I made an appointment at the 24/7 Mac Store near FAO Schwartz and uni'ed over there today. When I arrived, I gave my information to one of the zillions of reps floating about the store, and he quickly determined that I'd accidentally been given a time in the wee hours (1:30 am) rathrer than a quiet (ha!) afternoon time of 1:30 pm. Still, he was confident that he could squeeze me in and before I knew it, a young woman handed me a new iPhone!

Of course, if this fix doesn't work, I may have to think about this whole purchase again. That would be called...
RE-CONSIDERATION

No comments: