Friday, January 18, 2008

Two-Hour Delays

When it snows during the night, we often get two-hour school delays the next morning. Normally these are a blessing, since everyone gets to sleep late, but today it was a curse for sure.

To begin with, I was looking forward to subbing for one of the teachers, but the delay caused a change in the schedule that precluded even a half-day of subbing. This wasn't a huge financial hit, but I really do like to sub, and I could have used the money. So it goes. I still had a full day of tutoring to look forward to; in fact, I was starting early on account of a make-up session, so I had to be in The City by 1:45, necessitating a New Paltz departure by 12 at the latest.

EARLY KNITTERS
The next snag was that Shirra's store has a special weekly gathering of Friday morning knitters; Shirra has to be at the store by 9:30. This meant that I had to take all three kids to their respective schools. The hours were rather horrendous: Fiona at 9:30, Maeve an hour later, and Emmett at 11! Then Fiona forgot her homework folder, and the next thing you know, I had to make an extra trip home to pick it up. I had to get something at the doctor's office before heading to Manhattan, too.

TWO DAYS in ONE
I often say that my life, split as it is between Paltz and York, makes it feel like I live two days every 24 hours. This was one such day. By 12, I had made these trips around New Paltz:

9:30 Middle School; also met with one of Fiona's teachers
10:00 Shirra's store; also The Bakery (for the paper)
10:30 Pre-School
11:00 Lenape
11:15 Middle School
11:30 Shirra's store
11:45 Doctor's office

All of this was followed by my 85-mile trips to and from Manhattan and my tutoring, which included 2 miles of unicycling. I didn't get back to New Paltz till 8, and then I had to spend the next half-hour shopping for some groceries.

I'm pooped.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.