Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Technicolor Tute

A first in my 14 years of tutoring: a student threw up during a session.

Poor kid, it was our first session, and his mom had warned me that he had been complaining of a mild stomach ache. He asked if we could ltake a small break, then asked for some ginger ale, and the next thing I know, there are bowtie noodles coming out of his nose. Good thing I'm a dad of three; nothing fazes me. I made sure he got everything out, cleaned everything up, and a few minutes later we were back to our lesson. He did quite well despite his wooziness, too.

I've thrown up during a session, too. It was nearly a decade ago, and I guess I was a bit dehydrated. I excused myself, walked to the bathroom, and barfed into the toilet (quietly, so as not to disturb my young charge). Then I brushed my teeth and headed back to the office, where I explained that she should probably call her mom for an early pickup so that I could rest and recover. I was feeling pretty faint, but the next day, I was fine. I hope today's student will be fine by tomorrow, too.

No comments: