Sunday, April 08, 2007

Keeping Organic

When we lived in Brooklyn, we fell in love with the Park Slope Food Coop. Its membership has since doubled to about 14,000, but the PSFC is still a great place to shop due in large part to the wonderful people on our shift and the incredibly low prices. To shop there, members must work 2.5-hour shifts every 4 weeks. The rewards are an amazing selection of high-quality foods at a markup of just 22% over wholesale. Over all, you can't beat the coop's prices.

Shirra and I were lucky enough a few years ago to find ourselves with a great group of people in the 'food processing' unit. This is where people prepare the spice, cheese, olive, dry fruit, and tea items of the cooperative. Our group has six workers, and for most of the past 5 years, they've been the same people. When we moved to New Paltz, we found that we couldn't give up the monthly trips to the coop. Logistics proved difficult, but we've managed.

We obviously can't get all of our needs taken care of in a monthly trip to Brooklyn, so we've had to subsidize our diets by shopping locally. The good news is that New Paltz has several excellent choices to keep our fridge filled with healthy foods. Our favorite spot is Healthy Foods, located in the New Paltz Plaza (off the north end of Main St). The prices are generally great, and when that's not the case (like the high cost of almonds these days), we simply find other favorites until we can hit the PSFC again.

On the lower end of Main St, across from the tattoo parlor, is another good healthy food shop. The choices are different, but I haven't shopped there enough to compare them with Healthy Foods. This shop is smaller, so it's lacking somewhat in feng shui in comparison to its larger competitor, but it's great to have a place to get a healthy snack when we're in the center of town.

If we wanted to save a little money while shopping locally, there is another great choice in High Falls. I came upon it accidentally while antiquing, and I got a good feeling about it right away. It reminds me of the hippy days of the Park Slope Food Coop (from what I've been told), when the membership was smaller and people had to share a lot in the upkeep of the store. The downside with this place is that the discount is only 10%, so its prices are quite a bit higher than its bigger cousin from Brooklyn. Apparently this savings is comparable to that of other nearby food coops, so I'm not complaining. I guess it just shows how amazing the PSFC is and why it's so hard for us to give up our monthly trips to the old neighborhood.

2 comments:

The Journey said...

Have you been to Robins? They're located on 32 and Brookside Road and have a great selection of in-season produce and a decent variety of organic goods. My husband and I moved to New Paltz from Brooklyn in December 2006 and I just recently came by your blog. Great to read about a fellow Brooklyn/New Paltz transplant!

nicole said...

Hey,
I live in NP with my husband an 4 kids(!) I am thoroughly enjoying your blog. I used to live in Albany and was a 'weekly worker' at the Honest Weight Food Coop. Now I am part of a local buying club which is basically a coop without a building. If you'd like more info about joining, email me.
neecowal@hvc.rr.com